Can you think of other ways to communicate besides speaking?
In this unit, students will identify how to communicate messages over a distance with light and sound. Students will examine how communicating without language barriers and over distances can help people. Within the criteria and constraints of the project, in the Design Challenge students choose to either design a percussion instrument to communicate a need in the classroom, or use a CD to reflect a light upon a letter or symbol to send a message.
- Students will use given scientific knowledge to generate design solutions.
- Students will design and build a device that uses light or sound to solve the given problem.
- Students will be able to describe specific features of the design solution.
- Students will describe the specific expected or required criteria/constraints of the design solution that include:
- The device is able to send or receive information over a given distance.
- The device must use light or sound to communicate.
- Students use only the materials provided when building the device.
- In evaluating potential solutions, students will describe whether the device:
- Has the expected or required features of the design solution
- Provides a solution to the problem involving people communicating over a distance by using light or sound
- Students describe how communicating over long distances helps people.
In the Empathy phase of Lesson 1, students investigate reasons for needing to communicate with lights and sounds NGSS 1-PS4-4 . They will identify with the benefits of non-language communication and the need to connect over long distances. In the Define phase of Lesson 2, students focus on ways light can be used to communicate with othersNGSS 1-PS4-4 . The Define phase of Lesson 3 concentrates on different non-language sounds and their meanings as methods of communication NGSS 1-PS4-4. Taking this further, in the Define phase of Lesson 4 students interpret Morse code messages communicated by sound or light, and students practice interpreting 2 or 3 letter codes NGSS 1-PS4-4 . In the Design Challenge of Lesson 5 (Ideate, Prototype, and Test phases) student teams record while they iterate ideating a design, prototyping it, testing it, and redesigning it until all requirements are met.